Rio Tinto (ASX:RIO) - Chief Executive, Jakob Stausholm
Chief Executive, Jakob Stausholm
Source: Rio Tinto
The Market Online - At The Bell

Join our daily newsletter At The Bell to receive exclusive market insights

  • Rio Tinto’s (RIO) iron ore business posts record first-quarter shipments from Western Australia’s Pilbara region, up 16 per cent compared to the same time last year
  • For the three months ending March 31, RIO shipped 82.5 million tonnes of iron ore, topping its prior 2018 first-quarter record of 80.3 million tonnes
  • However, the surge in export volumes was marred by a downgrade to RIO’s copper production guidance due to challenges at its Kennecott and Escondida operations
  • RIO’s bauxite production also experienced setbacks, but the company has maintained its guidance and says it will implement plans to recover lost production
  • RIO shares are down 2.6 per cent, trading at $119.99 at 1:46 pm AEST

Rio Tinto’s (RIO) iron ore business has posted record first-quarter shipments from Western Australia’s Pilbara region, up 16 per cent compared to the same time last year.

For the three months ending March 31, RIO shipped 82.5 million tonnes of the steel-making material, topping its prior 2018 first-quarter record of 80.3 million tonnes.

“Through the ongoing deployment of our Safe Production System, we expect to see a sustainable lift in operating performance across our global portfolio over time, in line with improvements already achieved,” Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said.

However, the surge in export volumes was marred by a downgrade to RIO’s copper production guidance due to challenges at its Kennecott and Escondida operations.

At Kennecott, mined production was down 36 per cent on the prior corresponding period, with operations impacted by record snowfall and a breakdown of a conveyor belt that links the mine to the concentrator.

RIO expects this operational failure to reduce output until quarter three and, as such, has lowered its mined copper guidance for 2023 to 590,000 to 640,000 tonnes, down from 650,000 to 710,000 thousand tonnes.

Similarly, the company’s bauxite production from its Weipa operations in Queensland was affected by higher-than-average rainfall as well as equipment downtime, which also disrupted its Gove operations.

This saw bauxite production down 11 per cent compared to 2022.

However, the company said it maintained its production guidance in this space and would implement plans to recover lost production.

Mr Stausholm said RIO was focused on “disciplined growth” in materials the world needed for the energy transition, as evidenced by the first production from its underground mine at Oyu Tolgoi in Mongolia and the progression of early works at the Rincon lithium project in Argentina.

In other news, RIO shareholders will receive their US$2.25 (A$3.36) per share dividend today. It equates to an $11.9 billion payout for the year.

RIO shares were down 2.6 per cent and trading at $119.99 at 1:46 pm AEST.

rio by the numbers
More From The Market Online
ASX Earnings concept

Week 8 CY26, Wrapped: Unusually quiet Trump amplifies ASX earnings, but Iran fears growing

It’s been an interesting two weeks, largely because we haven’t heard too much from Donald Trump lately.
The Market Online Video

Prospect Resources on ‘the copper capital of Africa’ and the tier-one mining potential in Zambia

Prospect Resources joins HotCopper to talk about why it's been looking into the underlying geology at…
The Market Online Video

Australian Gold and Copper: Maiden resource complete, growth story continues

HotCopper talks to AGC MD Glen Diemar as precious and critical metals explorer Australian Gold and…
The Market Online Video

HotCopper Highlights, Week 8: Zip unfastened; Coles in trouble, BHP’s India pivot & more

Good Afternoon and welcome to the latest edition of HotCopper Highlights where we go through the stocks and announcements you were watching this week on